- Many patients suffering from mental health issues are often over-treated with too many drugs and other harsh treatments such as ECT (electric shocks etc.). Many patients wonder how much the drugs are helping or causing other psychological problems.
- Some patients often wonder if they can reduce their dependence on medicines and be truly healthy without constantly needing psychiatric medicines.
- Is the conventional medicine with DSM-5 and treatment relying on drugs absolutely the best possible treatment path? Are there natural therapies that can help? Is the truth somewhere in between?
- If you wish to investigate this further and help patients, here are some initial starting points / resources below.
- Disclaimer : This is intended to be a study topic with collection of resources for someone wishing to study in depth. Actual decision to modify treatment plan is personal and has to be considered on case by case basis by all involved parties with decision authorities. We don’t suggest or imply any kind of treatment modifications in any individual cases. This is strictly for knowledge sharing.
The Massachusetts, United States based Freedom Center provides and promotes alternative and holistic approaches and takes a stand for greater choice and options in treatments and care. The Freedom Center and the Icarus Project (which does not self-identify as a consumer/survivor organization but has participants that identify as such) have published a Harm Reduction Guide To Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs and were recently a featured charity in Forbes business magazine.
How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Drugs, a book by Peter R. Breggin, M.D., & David Cohen, Ph.D.
weekly madness radio hosted by Freedom Center founder Will Hall syndicated on the Pacifica Network.
Survivor David Oaks, Director of MindFreedom, hosts a monthly radio show
Judi Chamberlin’s influential 1978 book : “On Our Own: Patient Controlled Alternatives to the Mental Health System”
Forums / Groups: